Our friend Anthony Bacon from Rhythm Bike and Board just built up a new 52 cm Rockitship frame and fork with 650b wheels. Lots of folks ask us how this wheel size will work on the Rockitship so here you go!
Up in the U.P. of Michigan there are some roughly paved roads along with miles of peaceful gravel snowmobile trails (in the summer at least). A tough and wider tire set up like the Rockitship makes a lot of sense for the terrain. Last year Anthony was riding a carbon 1x bike with hydraulic brakes. This year he decided to focus on building a bullet-proof and simple bike with an ultra-endurance gear range. So you’ll find a front derailleur (what the heck is a front derailleur?) and simple mechanical disc brakes all married to the Rockitship.
Fitting the 650b wheels works and looks good. The high volume WTB 47mm wide tires clear well (tightest in between the chainstays) and perform well on the gravelly and sandy trails. The bike might sit slightly lower than using a 700c sized wheel but not by much. Doing maths the 650b x 47mm tire has pretty much the same outside diameter as a 700c wheel with a 25mm tire.
Anthony really wanted to use his Paul Klamper post-mount brake on the rear flat-mount brake mount. With an adapter and the tight clearance on the 52cm frame’s rear triangle it was going to be a real squeeze to use this brake. Coincidentally he ran into “Paul” (the one of “Paul Components”) and got his blessing for this slight modification to the brake.
Anthony’s Rockitship build
- Frame and Fork: Fairdale 2018 Rockitship, 52cm
- Shifters (Pair): Sram Force 22 Mechanical
- Front Derailleur: Sram Force 22
- Rear Derailleur: Sram Force 22 Mid
- Chain: Connex 11sX
- Cassette: Sram PG-1170
- Crank: Sram Force 22 170mm 50/34 GXP
- Bottom Bracket: Wheels Manufacturing GXP English Angular Contact
- Brake Caliper: Paul Comp Klamper Short Pull
- Brake Adapter Front: TRP Flat – Post 140
- Brake Adapter Rear: TRP Flat – Post 140
- Brake Rotor: Sram Centerline 2 piece Center-Lock 140
- Rims: WTB KOM i25 27.5″
- Front Hub: DT Swiss 350 J Bend Center-Lock 32H 15×100
- Rear Hub: DT Swiss 350 J Bend Center-Lock 32H 12×142 11s Road
- Spokes: DT Swiss Competition 2.0/1.8 black / 274
- Nipples: DT Swiss brass 12mm black
- Tires: WTB 47c Byway TCS
- Valve Stems: Whisky Tubeless valve stem
- Stem: Paul Comp Boxcar 90mm +/-0 – Black
- Bars: Salsa Cowbell 3 42cm
- Bar Tape: Selle Anatomica leather Mahogany
- Seat Post: Whisky 27.2 400 mm 0 offset
- Seat: Brooks Cambium C15 Carved All Weather
- Headset Upper: Cane Creek Cane Creek 110 IS42/28.6 Short Cover Top Headset
- Headset Lower: Cane Creek Cane Creek 110 IS52/40 Bottom Headset
- Pedals: Shimano XT
- Bottle Cage: King Cage Stainless Steel
- Seat Clamp: Profile Racing SlimJim
Anthony has been cranking out some pretty decently long all-terrain rides on his Rockitship and says the bike’s fit and build is spot on. We look forward to joining him on some of those rides soon!